Developing and implementing the right “tone”
An off-tone will make the whole piece flat just as in music. Consider both of these sentences;
“What else can I help you with?”
While both sentences literally mean the same thing, you’ll agree with me that they’ll generate different feelings. It is important that you define your standards as regards conversations. While this will help the team have a collective voice, each team member can still sound unique without looking like everyone is reading from the same script.
In developing the right customer support tone, you’ll need to consider a lot of things.
1. You’ll have to visualize tone as a spectrum stretching from a negative to a positive side.
2. Always use POSITIVE LANGUAGE, and be wary of negative language like can’t, didn’t, won’t, you need to, you have to, etc.
3. It’s also nice to be brief but not necessarily brusque.
4. Regardless of how amazing your reply is — most customers are going to ignore a very lengthy word email. So make sure to keep both sentences and paragraphs short.
5. Timeliness of response should also be a priority as should be the use of customers' names in greetings and conversations.
6. You may also want to mirror their communication style too while being careful with humor.
7. You should also create a style guide documenting all the elements of your brand so your team can be consistent in working in line.
8. You may also build a database of common replies to be used as templates on which your team can build.
9. Be precise and help as much as you can. Avoid boring customer service clichés and simplify your conversations with foreigners.
10. Talk to your customers like people, and not machines, and endeavor to always end encounters on a high note.
Managing Difficult Conversations for Customer Happiness
Those difficult times will always come. Customers will request features outside your roadmap. They’ll want to buy items that you currently don't have in stock. Other difficult requests will be similar. You won’t be able to say yes at all times, but you also should not sound mean and negative. In talking to customers, you have to understand how sincere apologies can make much sense while also focusing on what you plan to do about the report.
You have to be direct and not waste time and it shouldn’t be hard to admit if ever you find yourself in the wrong. You also should admit what you have no clue about as even though speedy communication is good, there is still the need to be accurate. In helping clients solve problems, you’ll need to focus on the end and not the means. Make them feel heard and let them know you’re advocating for their needs.
While you’ll want to win back customers with exceptional service, it will be bad to continue dragging things further in cases where they want to leave. It’s also important that you throw blame around, but you also should not condone outright abuse in case customers cross their lines. Remember, no matter how hard you try, there are still people who would never be appeased.
Keeping Customers Delighted with the Little Extras
When it comes to keeping customers satisfied through effective communication, you should know that God is in the detail in this case. The little extras might seem so little, but sometimes, they can make the biggest difference. In using the extras to enhance customer experience, you’ll want to ask them questions to help you get to the root of what they’re actually trying to do.
Using emojis, GIFs, and even exclamation points are some of those extras that can make conversations assume a friendlier and more competent tone. You may also go the extra mile by fixing their problems, especially those that are clearly not your fault. Picking on personal details can also help you build relationships as well. Things like these and others like sending them a handwritten thank you note in the real world can give the relationship a more human feel.
Customers continually yearn for support to have a more human approach. While speed and humanity are both qualities we’ll like all together. However, humanity, at no point should be sacrificed for the sake of speed or even closing a huge deal for that matter. To err is human, you know. The rest can always take care of themselves!
One Contact Center
At One Contact Center, we prioritize customer support because of its incredible influence on customer acquisition, brand loyalty, and customer retention. And because we’re experts at this, our clients can reap the results in the form of highly positive customer experiences that boost their profits and bottom line, even in today’s highly demanding consumer markets.
If you’re keen on boosting your customer experience with reliable support services, please, contact us today. We’ll be more than happy to help.